How to create a Windows Home Server photo album in minutes

(Note: This article has been updated from the original to reflect new features in Whiist).

One of the great things about Windows Home server is the potential for easily sharing photos and files with your family and friends. In this simple example I’ll show how by using Whiist you can create a new photo album on your Windows Home Server in just a few minutes.

Over Thanksgiving Liz and I took a lot of pictures we wanted to send to my family back in the. Previously I would have used a service such as Flickr, but this time I’m going to use Windows Home Server and Whiist.

Here are the steps I took, with some helpful screenshots :)

1) Assuming you haven’t done so, download and install the latest version of the Whiist Add-In for your Windows Home Server.

2) Select “Manage Websites” from your Windows Home Server console. Click “Add” to start the Wizard and choose “Create a simple photo album to share pictures”.

new_whiist_1

3) Choose a location for your new album. I recommend that you keep your websites in one location, on my server I have a separate “Websites” share for this purpose.

new_whiist_2

4) Enter a new alias for your website. This will be used as part of the address for your album so can only contain letters and numbers.

Select ‘Finish’ in the Wizard.

new_whiist_3

5) After you select ‘Finish’ Whiist will open the folder you created in step 3. Copy your photos into this folder.

new_whiist_4

new_whiist_5

7) Send the link to family an friends :)

new_whiist_6

Update: Comments are now closed. Please direct comments to the forums

29 Comments

• The Judge
    June 9, 2007 - 2:02 pm | Permalink

Awesome! Super Easy! Do it!
    Thanks for the good work!

• Pingback: How to... Create an Online Photo Album With Windows Home Server

• Ross
    June 10, 2007 - 5:43 pm | Permalink

Great add-in.

I’m having a problem that in the Wizardsheet when browsing for a folder, the OK button is always grayed out. Also the Next button on the Wizard is always gray. Any suggestions on how to fix?

• June 10, 2007 - 5:47 pm | Permalink

You must use a folder within a share. For security reasons you cannot have a website directly in the root of a share.

For example;

serverpublic <– not ok
    serverpublicwebsites <– ok.

• June 10, 2007 - 9:55 pm | Permalink

This is awesome. Thanks for the great work. I’m super happy it works with no modification. Home Server rules (and I really need to get one).

• Tademos
    June 11, 2007 - 1:40 am | Permalink

Very awesome. Supports also subfolders.

Well, so only a webaccess for mails is still missing :-)

• June 11, 2007 - 9:25 am | Permalink

Great job, Nice and usefull……..
    Where you find the time to do..??????
    Greats

• Henk
    June 11, 2007 - 3:22 pm | Permalink

This is really a matter of minutes!! Thanks for making live so easy Andrew and Bertrand

• Ross
    June 11, 2007 - 9:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the help. I’ve got the site up and running.

Now if I can just convince Bertrand to extend the photo album with some added functionality:
    - group download: checkboxes under each photo and a Download button which would combine (Zip?) the files and download)
    - easy printing: I’m sure one of the photo services has an API
    - comments: OK, I may be pushing it here :-)

• Pingback: Whiist - Website Management Add-In for Windows Home Server « MS Windows Home Server

• Allan
    June 15, 2007 - 10:23 pm | Permalink

Nice and easy. But photos are sorted by modified date. Any way to sort by created date or date taken?

• Jeff
    June 17, 2007 - 11:07 am | Permalink

How can these pages be made private?
    BTW – this is great.

• June 17, 2007 - 11:16 am | Permalink

At the moment they can only be public (though the latest version has an option to prevent Google from finding them).

Later this week I hope to release an update that will allow you to restrict access to chosen user accounts on your WHS.

• Jeff
    June 17, 2007 - 11:29 am | Permalink

Great, thanks.
    Another question, this is probably handled by the photo handler software, but how do you increase the thumbmail sizes?

• June 17, 2007 - 1:07 pm | Permalink

You can change this on line 72 of album.ashx.

• Phil
    June 19, 2007 - 12:31 pm | Permalink

Does someone have Bertrand’s ASP code. The link on the Bertrand site points to GotDotnet and that site is being phased out. I see nothing there to download.

Thanks

• June 19, 2007 - 12:38 pm | Permalink

You’re right, it’s gone.

I’ve updated the page with a version I’m mirroring.

• June 19, 2007 - 10:48 pm | Permalink

The workspace will be recreated on Codeplex, but it takes a little time. I’ll post the new location here and on my blog. Thanks for your support and patience.

• June 20, 2007 - 10:32 pm | Permalink

The new home of the PhotoHandler is now: http://www.codeplex.com/PhotoHandler

• Alistair Marlow
    June 26, 2007 - 11:44 pm | Permalink

Implemented and worked without fault. Well done Andrew and Bertrand on some great products and clear instructions. Only question I have is can you have the title property of the image displayed under each photo?

• June 28, 2007 - 8:31 pm | Permalink

Alistair,

Currently I’m afraid not.

• July 1, 2007 - 2:10 am | Permalink

Hi Andrew!

Thanks for great article and example. I will try out it on my own copy of Home Server beta. I also wrote a little guide to my blog based on this great entry by you.

• Patrick
    July 7, 2007 - 12:30 am | Permalink

Probably doing something wrong. I’m having this error: [ZoneTransfer] ZoneId=3 Somebody any idea how to fix this.
    THX..

• Pingback: How to create a website on Windows Home Server in minutes » Andrew Grant - Live!

• Pingback: Jon’s Geek Stuff … & Stuff » How to create a Windows Home Server photo album in minutes

• Pingback: ToC Gaming News Blog : All The Latest PC Gaming News

• Pingback: Around and About .NET World

• TheEngineer
    February 24, 2008 - 6:05 pm | Permalink

Rather then copy photos or files that may also be in other folders on the WHS, could not Virtual folders be used, as per HFS Web file server software?
    Adding the virtual folder would be easy, after all it is only a pointer to the real folder, were ever it might be. Might be a problem with shares?
    Thanks

• Pete
    March 3, 2008 - 10:54 pm | Permalink

Please help. I am trying to setup my photo site, but the wizard does not have the correct website alias. And I cannot enter the correct one because it has to be alphanumeric. Any ideas?

• Comments are closed.